To prepare for the weeks when I’ll be stuck at home on my own which is commonly known as the Christmas holidays, I might have accidentally challenged myself to improve my skills in After Effects.
The idea I gave myself was similar to what CLIConline are doing with CLICmas.
Basically, from when I’m off my placement (which is between Dec 22nd and Jan 6th), I will have to create something simple in After Effects every other day. So by the time I start my placement (Jan 7th), I’ll have eight pieces of motion or still graphics created in After Effects.
The main reason why I was thinking about doing something like this is so then I can improve in using some of the plug-ins I have, mainly the Trapcode stuff I have and the things I’ve just got from Video Copilot.
These are the rules I’ve got in mind for the moment.
- Has to be done in Adobe After Effects (no matter what version or on what operating system)
- Each one focuses as on a different plug-in or aspect of After Effects at a time (like one day only concentrating on Particular, others using visual assets, the next day using Optical Flares ect)
- Can be either motion or static graphics
- For motion, there’s no time limit, but no longer than say a minute or two
- For static, it has to be a decent size for desktop background (most probably the resolution setting of my Macbook)
- Can be basic or complicated, as long as I spend at least an hour on it (not including rendering/exporting/whatever you call it)
- Should be uploaded before 10pm on the other days (so, the first upload will be on the 23rd, then the 25th, then 27th and so on, or something similar)
- No real theme for them - all it’s for is to improve my skills in After Effects (unless I think of a theme or if someone suggests a theme for me for some reason)
- There’s no punishment that I have to do for not uploading before then, but all I’d have is the guilt filling me up
I have no idea if I’ll actually do it, or even if it’s a good idea. Not even going to say that the content that I’ll make (if I do anything) would be any good, it’s just to develop and improve the skills that I have already.
Any input would be lovely. And if I actually go ahead with this, maybe you’ll see the results of it on here during Christmas.